Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Left Over Yarn Socks

Finally, a picture of the fugly LOYS. They aren't that pretty and have been worn a lot around here lately so excuse the fuzzies. It's supposed to be in the 40's but my floors are still super cold. I knit these from the toes up so I could try them on me and my daughter. I thought I had used everything and I'm still finding more yarn. I don't know if it's enough to do another pair for my youngest.
I am so ready for gardening to start, so spring hurry up please! Last year I could have started peas and radishes in March but didn't. I may do it this year if we get rid of this snow. It did snow a week or 2 after I planted the seeds last year but they didn't seem to mind.
I wanted my husband to build cold frames for multiple reasons this year. First is so I can start gardening early and the biggest reason is to protect the seedlings from our chickens. They love to scratch and took out my cucumbers last year. We are down to 4 chickens this winter. One mysteriously disappeared in the last month. Never found a body or tracks. I'm expecting her to show up when it thaws. She was low on the totem pole, so I think she took off for more quiet pastures. Hens are very mean and we had to get more hens because our little bantam would peck our rooster's comb. Everyday, so he would be a bloody mess. I felt so bad for him but our farmer friend said he can't feel it. I don't know if I believe that but he's been wound free this year.
I plan on planting celery, cauliflower, radishes, peas, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, purple pole beans, brussel sprouts, tomatoes, red peppers, garlic (already planted), lettuce, cilantro, dill, beets, swiss chard and I think that's it. I planted all of this last year and didn't get celery, cauliflower, cucumbers, brussel sprouts, or cilantro. I think I planted stuff way to close together.
I over turned another bed this summer and hope that I can keep it chicken free. It's about 6 feet by 15-20 feet. I never measured it but I should. You would have thought I would have because I dug this bed down 18 inches and over turned it. It took forever and it was back breaking labor. Also it would help so I can make a plan for what's going where. I'll just put it on my to do list.
Have I mentioned that I can't keep anything stain free? I have this nice turtle neck sweater from J Crew. Before J Crew, they went all cashmere only and plain boring cable designed sweaters. Well this fall I stained it, tried everything to get the stain it out. Very tempted to try bleach but came up with an alternative. I'm adding felted flowers to cover up the stain. Felted recycled sweater flowers to be exact. My husband said I had to add at least 5 flowers. I only needed two but nature does things in odd numbers, so 5 is the magic number? Two are on and I'm working on 4, plus it has to have a stem and leaves. Hoping to have this done before winter is over. Pictures soon???

No comments: