Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Altoids Tin Repurposed

So my youngest starts kindergarten in less than a week now. One of the items she need was a tin that held her money to use for counting. It had have her name on it. I decided to take it a step further and shrinky dink a cover for her. The shrinky dink plastic was the one that has the sandpapered back. So it wasn't see through until we expoxied it onto the tin. Kind of a bummer but I still like it. Next time I will color in in more, so less can be seen! I do like all the bugs too. She wasn't fond of the ants on the bottom but I think they are super cute!
Also when it says it shrinks to a third of the size not true. I measured the tin and I figured I needed 10.5" by 6.5" sheet to make it just barely cover the top. Well I had a least a quarter inch all around to cut off. Which I did using a jeweler's saw and then filed. Finally sanding the edge smooth with a fine grade sandpaper. So don't make my mistake. Next time, I'm going 9" by 5" inches.

No comments: