Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Simply Perfect


Iris
Originally uploaded by catscluttercrafts
Yesterday the girls picked the iris's in our backyard. They don't seem to last more than 24 hours once they bloom here. I sat down to eat dinner and I looked up and thought this is so beautiful. Doesn't it look like the flower is doing ballet? I had to take pictures. Flowers always look like they are made out of silk crepe to me. So thin and fine almost if you touched them they would disappear.
My life feels like the scene from Alice in Wonderland when they are playing crochet with the queen. Then toss in the insanity of the Mad Hatter and that's how work has been. It's hard to stand by and watch managers flip out on people. Seriously our one manager has MAJOR anger issues and he chooses the weak to prey on. Yesterday it was the 74 year old maintenance guy. Why?! because he took to long to get to the part of the store where he was needed. I think they are just trying to upset him so he quits. I know he can't because his wife has cancer. He only works weekends to get the medical coverage through the store. After he was cussed out (he is deeply religious too) so I'm sure he really didn't appreciate being talked to like that, he was told to go home.
Add to that, that my requests for days off have been disappearing and I'm really upset! I know the whole year in advance when I need to get off. Shows and when my husband teaches classes, toss in the occasional party or art opening and that's it. So in January I wrote down requests for the 1st 7 months. Which seems like a lot but it's not. I need those days off. Well someone has been throwing out my requests and other people in our department. Which coincides with when our manager wants off. I am taking those days and I told the other people who it happened to that we gave her months notice and she can and needs to find help.
I have a dream of owning my own small grocery store. I see all the dysfunction and know that there has to be a better way to run things. It would have natural lighting, sky lights, a pitched roof because it snow's here, a waterfall inside, an air purification system because grocery stores are filthy and do set off allergies, the employees would own part of the business so they would want it to do well and I would reserve the right to kick people out for bullying, stealing and just inappropriate behavior. Just because people go shopping doesn't mean they have to act like we are torturing them. By the time some customers get up to the registers they take their frustrations out of their cashiers. So many cashier's hate customers because of how they been treated. I've seen a new cashier who is working their first job go and be happy to help the customers, with a happy light in their eyes. Only to leave their shift in a daze because of how they've been treated. So if you are happy with your shopping experience let your cashier know. They will really appreciate it!

1 comment:

emma said...

I do love irises! I had them at my wedding and they always bloom for my daughter's birthday.
Sorry about the work problems. It does seem like the tone at work is set from the management. Bad management = bad work environment.