Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Music?

I went to Girl Scout's last night and at the end of the meeting I received a CD of songs that are sung at encampment. So I popped it on the way home and ahh yuck! Some of the songs were good but some of the songs were so embarrassing that I had to skip through them. Girl Scout's I thought was about helping girls become strong women. Plus helping out in the local communities. Some of these songs didn't convey any of that spirit. They were a way to make a fast buck. No thought or musical talent went into them.
Well these songs didn't motivate me at all. They kind of killed my soul. They were an attempt to make a catchy but repetitively mindless song. The grammar jumped around and I couldn't figure out how a surfer girl could get around a block. Plus their solution to make it sound like a song was to have a woman sing a line or a word and then have girls repeat it for one of the songs. We skipped that song. Some of the songs were just good fun songs, that are sung at camps everywhere. My daughter will not be happy by singing some of these crappy songs. I can't say I blame her. If it makes you feel unmotivated then hum something else to yourself honey or maybe I should tell her to stand and tell the adults this song stinks.
Songs I really like right now are The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson
and Feist 1234. Simple songs with nice instrumentals that don't over power the singer's voice. Cute catchy lyrics with emotion and feeling.

No comments: